Monday, March 1, 2010

High School or a Minefield???

Some Girls Are Some Girls Are by Courtney Summers


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
High school has been easy for Regina and the rest of her gang, the "Fearsome Fivesome." In fact, their job is to have fun and make life miserable for everyone else. But when Regina gets caught in the wrong place at a school party, she goes from being a queen bee to a sqaushed bug. Now she gets to see how it feels to be terrorized, teased and victimized by the people she used to call her friends. Are high school girls really this mean and conniving? Some girls are...

This was a quick read but also pretty painful. I just find it hard to believe that high school is really this much of a minefield. Anna, the main (mean) character is almost a caricature of all of the evil girls we've seen in teen movies. This isn't to say I didn't like the book. It was engrossing and kept me interested but it didn't seem believable.

I also find it hard to fathom that school administrators are so clueless. Can kids really be terrorizing other students right under their noses? And what about Regina's parents, she came home daily with new bruises, both physical and emotional, and they never noticed a thing. In fact I don't think her father even interacted with her in the book.

Spoiler alert....
What I did like was the fact that Regina didn't immediately renounce her evil ways and become nice all of the sudden. For awhile it seemed like she was determined to be even meaner than she was before. I thought that this was a big plus for the book. It would have been easy to have Regina break down, feel guilty and instantly become friends with the same kids she used to terrorize.

View all my reviews >>